Sweden's Johan Olsson has won the men's 15km free technique competition World Cup in Davos, Switzerland. Starting ahead of many of the competition favourites Olsson retained his place in the leaders chair as all challengers crossed the line. He won in a time of 34:47.5 In second place for consecutive days was local favourite Dario Cologna (SUI), keeping his streak alive of being on the podium in every World Cup race since - and including - the Tour de Ski. Cologna was +11.8 off of Olsson's time. In third was Alexander Legkov (RUS) +13.9 back.
- First World Cup win for Johan Olsson since Szklarska Poreba (POL) 2012
- Olsson won World Cup in Davos (15 km C) in 2008
- Olsson took over the lead on the last lap
- Maurice Manificat (FRA) led the competition early but faded towards the end
- Dario Cologna has been on podium in each competition he took part in since Tour de Ski
- Dario Cologna is the Overall World Cup leader as well as Distance World Cup leader
Alexander Legkov (RUS)
Yes it was a good race. I am always happy with top 3. But I did not ski well towards the finish so I think I lost a position on the podium. I have been training here so I knew the course well and it suited me. I am hoping for a medal at World Championships.
Dario Cologna (SUI)
I am surprised that the race went so well. I didn't think I would be on the podium. The key was to pace myself early on the course and not go to fast. It is always challenging in Davos. I am looking forward to some rest the next few days. I will not compete in the sprint on Thursday in Val di Fiemme. I am looking for a gold medal at World Championships.
Johan Olsson (SWE)
I didn't feel well in warm up. I was hoping for a top 20 at best. Once I started the feeling was much better. You have to be careful in Davos too not hit the wall. Last year I watched the race on TV and saw Petter Northug as he showed everyone how to race in Davos. It is really important to not start too fast. I believe that I have the shape now to win a medal at the World Championships.
1. Johan Olsson SWE 34:47.5
2. Dario Cologna SUI +11.8
3. Alexander Legkov RUS +13.9
Complete results are available here.
WORLD CUP OVERALL STANDINGS
1. Dario Cologna SUI 1173 pts
2. Alexander Legkov RUS 1034 pts
3. Petter Northug Jr. NOR 947 pts
Partly cloudy, packed snow conditions, air temperature -4.0°C, snow temperature -3.6°C air
Please note that high quality action and podium pictures from today’s competitions are available for purchase through the Internet portal offered by Nordic Focus, FIS Partner for photos from the Nordic Disciplines, at www.nordicfocus.com